MORE PANTS!! – Sew Your View using McCalls 7726
Happy Wednesday Loves!!!!
It seems that all I have been making lately are palazzo pants, crop pants and more pants. My previous 2 makes have been palazzo pants for my Fabric Mart blogpost (here), and a crop pants using Mimi G Simplicity pattern.
I was a bit hesitant to sew VIEW B of this paperbag pants from McCall’s (M7726) based on my body type as I knew I would have to make adjustments. When Monica (Instagram: thatsewmonica) decided to select this pattern for March sew your view, I knew it was time to pull out the pattern and get to work. It was icing on the cake when Monica collaborated with Brittany who makes amazing video tutorials. She did a sew with me video (HERE) and I did NOT even look at the pattern instructions.
Based on the pattern, it would be difficult to grade the waist and hip on the pattern pieces as the pocket pieces are to the side and I did NOT want to venture into changing the entire construction of the pattern. Well, I am not 100% satisfied with these muslims as the waist is MUCH bigger than expected but best believe it, I plan to make it work. I will be adjusting the waist by 3/4 inches on each side and adding belt loops before wearing it again. I may even make a belt to go with it.
Another concern for me is the excess fabric in the lower tummy area. A sew sister Laquana suggested that lengthening the pleats may help a bit. I definitely will try this as well or lengthen the top stitching of the front pleats by 1/2 inch.
I did NOT make a lot of modifications to the pattern pieces this time around but had a few aha moments. I decided to taper the legs as I wanted a more fitted look. I tapered from the knee on the pattern piece 1/2 inch on both side then after sewing it together, I noticed a little excess of fabric from the thighs down giving it a weird look. I decided to taper it 2 inches below the pockets instead and remove an extra inch of fabric from the seams and that worked just perfect. I also added an extra 2 inches to the length, 1 inch at the knee and 1 inch at the ankle.
Well, the great news is that I paid $3 for 3 yards of this black cotton twill (less than the cost of muslin fabric) at Fabric Mart end of line and it came out way better than I expected. The next time around if I do sew this pattern again, I will modify on the back pattern piece the waist area and crutch using the butt adjustments method to avoid pulling at the back. This fabric has a little stretch and cutting the size 14 would have worked just fine.
Well, stay tune for another pants as I plan to make a few more to learn more about FIT based on my body type. I will definitely share all the modifications that I make to the pattern pieces. Thanks for stopping by and check back soon as I will share my makes of the first quarter of 2018 to kick off the month of April.